- This event has passed.
IP as Enabler and Barrier: Disclosing, Using and Protecting Your Work
May 3 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Buy tickets HERE.
Rob Hendry, an intellectual property lawyer and partner with MLT Aikins LLP, will be providing a seminar on how to protect and share your work product, such as; engineering drawings, products, methods, protocols, processes, concepts, and the like. The sessions generally will be directed to understanding the nature of IP rights as an asset separate from but connected to the technology or work product, and how communications and contracting with others can negatively impact your ability to use and commercialize your creation.
- First session (before break) will include a discussion of the nature of intellectual property rights – what they are, what they are not, why they can have commercial power
- Second session (after break) will include a discussion on communicating with others about your innovations/inventions, and how to handle contracting involving IP development or use; focus will be on risk factors around disclosures and potential impact on the IP assets, and how contractual terms can mismanage and even destroy the value of IP rights
Items to be covered include:
- What do you own? What are your assets?
- What can actually be monopolized? What is “a concept?”
- 3rd party communications
- How do you do it?
- How do you engage?
- What should contracts look like in regards to IP issues?
- RFPs – how to spot and handle IP issues
- Breach/enforcement will be quickly touched-upon
- What are they?
- What do you do?
- 8:00 am registration
- 8:30 am hot breakfast
- 9:00 am presentation (a break at 10:00 am)
- 11:00 am close
Presentation by Robert Hendry of MLT
Rob Hendry is an intellectual property lawyer, registered Canadian and United States patent agent and Canadian trade-mark agent, and a partner with the law firm of MLT Aikins LLP.
Rob has practiced law in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Calgary, before returning home to Saskatoon in 2010. While most of his career has been spent in private legal practice, he also enjoyed four years as in-house counsel to the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies as Intellectual Property Counsel.
His practice includes patent prosecution in many technical fields, strategic advising and planning around IP portfolios and business systems, technology commercialization, and IP-related transactions such as licensing and technology procurement. His clients include independent inventors, small to large companies, foreign law firms, post-secondary institutions and multinational corporate entities.
MLT Aikins LLP
Western Canada’s Law Firm
MLT Aikins LLP is a full-service law firm of more than 240 lawyers with a deep commitment to Western Canada and an understanding of this market’s unique legal and business landscapes.
Based out of six key centres across the four western provinces, MLT Aikins is the only law firm to have offices in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. As one of the 15 Largest Law Firms in Canada (Lexpert, American Lawyer Media), we have the bench strength and geographic scope to meet the increasingly complex needs of clients – from the personal concerns of individuals to the highly sophisticated and comprehensive requirements of major business enterprises.